Tips for a Smooth Car Hire Experience on the Sunshine Coast
If you’re travelling on the Sunshine Coast, car hire can be a great way to get around. This is especially true if you want to explore beyond the main towns and beaches. However, there are plenty of things to consider when hiring a car, from size and type of vehicle to length of rental period. As someone who regularly hires cars for both business and pleasure trips across Australia and overseas, I’ve got some tips for making sure your experience goes smoothly:
Book your car early to secure a great deal.
Book your car early to secure a great deal.
If you’re planning on hiring a car on the Sunshine Coast, it’s best to book as far in advance as possible. Why? Because booking early means that you can take advantage of special offers and deals from rental companies. Booking early also means that you can avoid peak season prices and busy times by ensuring there are plenty of vehicles available when it comes time for pick-up or drop-off.
Do your research.
- Do your research.
- There are a number of different car hire companies operating on the Sunshine Coast, and it’s important to do your homework before deciding which one to go with. You can use a comparison website like CarRentals or Booking.com to compare prices for different companies and see what deals are available for different periods of time (e.g., daily, weekly or monthly). You might also want to check out review sites such as TripAdvisor so that you can see what other people think about the company you’re interested in renting from–and if they have any tips on how best to avoid hidden costs!
Consider the size of the vehicle you need.
When you are planning your car hire, it is important to consider how much luggage you will be carrying and how many people will be travelling with you. If there are more than two people in your party, a 7 seater vehicle may be more suitable than a 4 seater. This also applies if one or more passengers have lots of baggage as well as themselves!
If you plan on driving on rough terrain then it might be best to opt for an SUV or 4WD vehicle instead of something smaller like a hatchback. This will allow for better control when going off-road (which can sometimes happen unexpectedly when exploring the Sunshine Coast).
Make sure you’re clear on the rental terms and conditions.
Before you rent the car, make sure you’re clear on the rental terms and conditions. There are two things to think about here:
- A rental contract is an agreement between you and the rental company that outlines your obligations as a renter. It also explains what happens if your car gets damaged or stolen while in their care, how much insurance coverage they provide and other important details. The safest way to ensure that everything is covered is to read over this document carefully before signing it!
- A rental agreement is similar but tends not to include coverage details like those found in contracts; instead it focuses more on what happens if there’s an accident or breakdown (like who pays for repairs). You’ll want both types of documents when renting a vehicle because they’re equally important–you don’t want any surprises after all!
Arrive at the rental depot with plenty of time to spare.
- Book your car early.
- Make sure you arrive at the rental depot with plenty of time to spare.
The reason for this is that you don’t want to be stuck in a queue when it comes time to collect your vehicle, especially if there are other customers waiting behind you. You also want enough time on hand so that if there are any issues with renting the car (such as not being able to accept card payments), then these can be resolved before leaving for wherever else it is that you’re going next.
Test drive the vehicle before you rent it.
You don’t want to be stuck with a vehicle that doesn’t work, or is too big for your needs. You also want to make sure the car feels comfortable and safe when you drive it. The best way to do this is by taking it for a test drive before making your final decision about which vehicle to rent.
Be aware of any restrictions or fees that might apply to your credit card or debit card when using it at the car hire agency counter.
Make sure you know your credit card and debit card’s restrictions.
Many car hire agencies will only accept Visa or Mastercard, so if yours isn’t one of those two, you’ll need to bring another form of payment. If you use a debit card, make sure there are no transaction fees involved in using it at the counter–and check whether there are daily limits on spending or withdrawing cash from an ATM with your card (this can be especially important if renting a car for several days). It might also help to know what time zone the agency is located in: some companies charge international rates if they’re not located within Australia’s time zone or daylight saving period.*
Car hire isn’t difficult, but it’s good to know what to expect when you arrive at the counter so that no surprises get in the way of enjoying your holiday!
The car hire process is not difficult, but it’s good to know what to expect when you arrive at the counter so that no surprises get in the way of enjoying your holiday!
- Arrive at the rental depot with plenty of time to spare. It’s often possible to pick up and drop off vehicles outside peak hours–especially if they’re located near airports or other tourist destinations–but there may be an additional fee for doing so.
- Test drive the vehicle before you rent it. This helps ensure that nothing has been damaged during transit, and also allows you ample opportunity to become familiar with how easy or difficult it is going to be driving around town (or along twisting coastal roads). If there are any issues with a particular rental car that could affect your comfort level while driving on Sunshine Coast roads, let staff know immediately so they can arrange another vehicle for you instead!
We hope that this article has made you feel more confident about booking your Sunshine Coast car hire. We know from experience just how stressful it can be getting ready for your trip, so we’re happy to share some tips to help make things run smoothly!