Steps to Become A Life Insurance Agent In India
These days people are looking to earn from side hustles but what if we say this side income can be your mainstream source of finance? Have you ever wondered about becoming an insurance agent, or if that could be the right path for you? You will have the flexibility of work and high-paying commissions, but it is not a simple job. There are several qualities you need to possess to become a life insurance agent.
Here is your ultimate guide on how to become a successful life insurance agent.
Who is an insurance agent?
An insurance agent is a person who works for an insurance company and sells the company’s insurance products to the public. They assist policy buyers with insurance products that suit them and assemble all the necessary documentation. The agent supports the buyers during the term of the policy. You can become an insurance agent in any one of the businesses. For example, a life insurance company or general insurance company, or you can even become a composite agent.
Steps to become a life insurance agent:
If you are interested in becoming a life insurance agent, register online via the IRDA (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority in India) portal.
You can register in IRDAI by filling out some necessary forms. You must enroll yourself in an insurance company you like to be associated with, only through which you will be able to appear for the examination.
These are the documents you would need to apply for the registration to become an insurance agent.
- Identity proof (Aadhar card)
- Copy of Pan card
- Address proof
- Copies of the applicant’s passport-size photo
- The highest education certificate
It can take up to a maximum of 60 days after enrollment to become a life insurance agent.
Online or offline training:
After the registration process, you need to attend 50 hours of online or offline training from IRDAI. They will award a training certificate after the training session, which includes all the phases of the insurance business.
Further, a pre-licensing objective type online exam will be conducted by IRDAI, and you must obtain at least 17 out of 50 marks
IRDAI will give you an official insurance agent license, and then you can work as a life insurance agent. Your insurance license will be valid for three years.
One has to know the eligibility criteria to become an insurance agent.
- The applicant must be 18 or above
- If the applier is from an urban area, he/ she should be 12th passed
- If he/ she is from a rural area, then they should be 10th passed
- The candidate must have all the documents to proof-checking
- One requires passing the exam conducted by IRDAI to get the insurance license
Roles and Responsibilities:
A life insurance agent has several responsibilities to become successful.
- The agent assists in sales and advertising of their insurance products and services to the clients.
- They must have the knowledge and awareness about the markets
- An agent should provide reliable financial consulting services and customer support to the clients
- The business requires well-planned policies
- Fully illustrated promotion plan of the insurance brands.
- Marketing strategies need to be changed periodically
- Public-relations structure-activity should have vital importance
- The agent should track business development tactics in a determined way
Here are some benefits of becoming a life insurance agent.
- You can start earning at the age of 18
- As an insurance agent, you will be independent
- You will have flexible work timings
- Attain steady income and control of growth
- You require zero investment
We hope that following these steps, you will become a successful life insurance agent in one of the respective insurance companies.