Huntington Beach bicycle accidents: Take the appropriate steps
Bicyclists and motorcyclists are at a greater risk of suffering serious injuries in an auto accident than drivers in 4-wheelers. Unfortunately, a considerable number of bicycle accidents are reported in Huntington Beach every year. Thankfully, California is a fault state, and that means you can recover a settlement from the at-fault driver after such an accident. You should also consider looking for injury attorneys Huntington Beach to evaluate your claim. Below are some key steps to follow, along with tips to find a reliable lawyer.
- Call 911. If you have suffered injuries and are in pain, consider calling 911 immediately after the bicycle accident. Ensure that you check with an injury doctor later for a detailed checkup. Keep all your medical records, bills, and expenses safe.
- Inform the police. Don’t let the car driver talk you out of doing that. You have to contact the local law enforcement promptly after the bicycle accident. Wait for the police officer to arrive and share your version of the accident.
- Get the necessary information. Talk to the drivers involved in the accident and get their contact and insurance info. If there were witnesses to the accident, get their contact details too.
- Don’t admit fault or apologize. You could have a role in causing the accident, but do not admit fault. Saying “sorry” to someone could be a sign of accepting a mistake. Also, don’t engage in a confrontation.
- Take photos. From pictures of the accident scene to images and videos of your injuries, document everything. If you decide to file a personal injury lawsuit later, the evidence will come in handy.
Meeting an Attorney
While not mandatory by law, hiring an attorney is important for your personal injury case. The right lawyer can help you evaluate the true worth of your claim. They know what it takes to investigate bicycle accidents and can talk to witnesses, insurance companies, and other parties on your behalf.
While most accident lawsuits are resolved outside of court, your lawyer can file an injury lawsuit when needed.
Cost of hiring a lawyer
Attorneys in California typically charge a contingency fee for bicycle accident lawsuits. This means that the attorney wouldn’t get paid until you get a settlement. The cost of hiring a lawyer can vary depending on experience and other factors, but you don’t have to pay more than 40% of the final settlement. Just ensure that you get an attorney on board soon after the accident.