Bariatric Surgery: Procedure, Cost and Risks
A recent study noted that there were 40 million prevalent cases of obesity in India in 2019. Interestingly, however, it also suggested a drastic rise to 74 million such cases by the year 2028, even before a complete decade.
Furthermore, the study went on to suggest a 12.2% annual growth rate of bariatric procedures.
This interesting bit of data streamlines a rising condition – that of obesity and the necessary treatment that is being opted all around.
What is bariatric surgery?
Bariatric surgeries aim at reducing or restricting the food intake capabilities of an individual to reduce his/her weight. These procedures, costly that they are, primarily focus on facilitating malabsorption of nutrients and gastric restrictions. Involving numerous pre and especially post-surgical medicines and other expenses, health EMI card holders can easily avail these procedures.
Some of its primary procedures are as follows –
- Biliopancreatic Diversion: This procedure removes a portion of the stomach and bypasses a large section of the small intestine. It reduces both food intake capacity of an individual along with lower absorption rate of minerals and nutrients. This procedure can cost up to Rs.4.5 lakh in India. This procedure is also known as Duodenal Switch.
- Gastric Bypass: The most common of all bariatric procedures, this surgery has been practised for more than 30 years. While one hand, this procedure has shown signs of lesser post-surgical complications, it also has a very low rate of mortality. This surgery involves the creation of a small stomach pouch along with a division of the small intestine. With the resulting system considerably smaller than its former self, this procedure also reduces an individual’s food intake capabilities.
However, this procedure is marginally costlier, at around Rs.5 lakh, than the previous one.
- Mini Gastric Bypass: A procedure which has recorded good long-term results, this is also a comparatively less risky surgery. Furthermore, this process requires much less recuperation time. Approximate cost estimation would be around Rs.4.75 lakh.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: This procedure reduces the size of an individual’s stomach anywhere between 15% and 70%. This process is usually applicable for extremely obese individuals with a BMI above 40, or even more. The procedural cost of this bariatric treatment ranges between Rs.4.25 lakh and Rs.4.75 lakh.
While bariatric surgeries are generally quite risk-free, there are a few hiccups, which individuals should also note. Some of the vital ones are listed below –
- Dumping syndrome which includes nausea and dizziness.
- Malnutrition, along with a tendency to vomit.
- Low blood sugar.
- Bowel obstruction.
While these above-mentioned risks are long-term health troubles, a few minor immediate post-surgical issues might arise. These are as below –
- Chronic nausea accompanied by vomiting.
- Acid reflux.
- Dilation of the oesophagus.
- Obstruction of the stomach.
However, it should also be noted that with proper medical care and pharmaceutical drug usage, these issues can be handled efficiently. Consequently, it is essential to begin such procedures with adequate financial tools at hand, making health EMI card one of the vital options.
What is a health card?
Bajaj Finserv Health Network EMI Card is a financial tool which allows its holders to convert their medical bills into instalments. Furthermore, this card also offers numerous discounts and rebates on usage at partner stores, making it not just convenient but also a lucrative option. Consequently, interested individuals should note its varied features which are listed underneath.
- Convenient limit: Health card holders are eligible to clear a medical bill going up to Rs.4 lakh. This allows them to address most health expenses. Even in the case of planned procedures, the majority of a medical bill can be cleared by this amount.
- Choice of repayment: Customers of health EMI card can pay their bills over instalments as per their choice. The maximum tenor for payment is 24 months.
- Prompt activation: Applicants can complete the application process within minutes, owing to the requirement of no documents.
- Covers full family: A single card covers every individual in a family, making it one of the most convenient and important financial tools in terms of healthcare.
- Applicable everywhere: Almost every hospital and medical care related institution accept these cards.
Interested individuals considering to apply for a health card should also note that there are 2 variants of it. Consequently, they should choose after reading the fine print on both of these cards.
Customers who are about to go for a health card apply can easily complete this procedure online within a few minutes, as long as they are existing customers. In case they are not, they can still avail the same by visiting partner stores or healthcare institutions. Notably, these cards do not particularly have any eligibility criteria.